Pellet Beer Can Chicken
Our beer can chicken is some of the best chicken you’ve ever had off the grill. The peaked lid shape of our grills makes it easy to cook multiple beer can chickens for a party or your family. The secret to our success is the beer and tequila we place in the cavity of the chicken to help it steam while cooking. It makes the meat extra tender from inside with the crispy outside we all know and love. This one has been a favorite for grillers in the GMG family and it’s one of the best recipes to get started on your journey to become a backyard pitmaster!
- Put 1/4 cup kosher salt in about a gallon of water in a large pot and stir until dissolved.
- Thoroughly wash and rinse a whole chicken, removing the giblets.
- Immerse the chicken in the salt water, making sure the water covers it completely and refrigerate for about 3 hours.
- Melt two tablespoons of butter and stir it into 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Rub the entire chicken, inside and out, with this liquid.
- Sprinkle generous amounts of garlic salt and black pepper on the outside of the chicken and in the cavity.
- Empty about one-half of the beer from a can. Warm beer works best.
- Add one shot of tequila to the can of beer. (OPTIONAL)
- Place the chicken on the beer can, inserting the can into the cavity. The chicken should stand up on the can by itself.
- Set the grill to about 325°. Wait until the temperature stabilizes.
- Cook for 2 hours 15 minutes or until done (165°F internal) . Chicken is usually done when leg moves freely in socket.